    SubjectRe: [Suspend2-devel] Re: swsusp / suspend2 reliability
    Rohan Dhruva wrote:
    > Why not
    > take the best from both swsusp and suspend2, and get a nice
    > implementation into the kernel, that works most of the times !

    Well, this is the ten thousand dollar question - why not indeed? Pavel
    says "Problems are in drivers, and drivers are shared", but suspend2
    works around this by unloading certain drivers before suspending, and
    otherwise hacking around the difficulties. This is, I think, what is
    meant when suspend2 is said to support scripting. It may not be a
    pleasing approach from a theoretical standpoint, but it seems to be the
    only way to get a reliable implementation in a timely fashion --
    reliable in the sense of being most likely to work on a randomly chosen
    machine without custom configuration.

      Last update: 2006-07-07 20:23    [W:4.629 / U:1.340 seconds]