    SubjectRe: [patch] spinlocks: remove 'volatile'

    On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Mark Lord wrote:

    > I'm still browsing a copy here, but so far have only really found this:
    >
    > A volatile declaration may be used to describe an object corresponding
    > to a memory-mapped input/output port or an object accessed by an
    > aysnchronously interrupting function. Actions on objects so declared
    > shall not be "optimized out" by an implementation or reordered except
    > as permitted by the rules for evaluating expressions.

    Note that the "reordered" is totally pointless.

    The _hardware_ will re-order accesses. Which is the whole point.
    "volatile" is basically never sufficient in itself.

    So the definition of "volatile" literally made sense three or four decades
    ago. It's not sensible any more.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:2.232 / U:0.056 seconds]