    SubjectRe: [patch] spinlocks: remove 'volatile'

    On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:

    > Linus, you may have been reading too many novels.
    >
    > If I have some code that does:
    >
    > extern int spinner;
    >
    > funct(){
    > while(spinner)
    > ;
    >
    > The 'C' compiler has no choice but to actually make that memory access
    > and read the variable because the variable is in another module (a.k.a.
    > file).

    You don't know how C works, do you?

    You also have no idea of what out-of-order memory accesses do to OS code,
    right?

    THE FACT IS, "volatile" IS USELESS, BADLY DEFINED, AND AN ALMOST
    COMPLETELY SURE SIGN OF BUGS.

    Go on, do your own OS, and try to use "volatile" in it as the
    serialization abstraction. I personally will guarantee that you will fail.
    But hey, you can prove me wrong.

    In the meantime, in Linux, "volatile" is considered a bug in any but the
    two special cases I already mentioned.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.036 / U:1.944 seconds]