    SubjectRe: ext4 features
    Tomasz Torcz wrote:

    >On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 07:47:16PM +0200, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>

    >>>Checksums are not very useful for themselves. They are useful when we
    >>>have other copy of data (think raid mirroring) so data can be
    >>>reconstructed from working copy.
    >>>

    >>it would be possible to identify data corruption.
    >>

    > Yes, but what good is identification? We could only return I/O error.
    >Ability to fix corruption (like ZFS) is the real killer.

    Having a checksum (or even a digital signature on a file) that lets us
    detect corruption is very useful since, in many cases, it allows us to
    flag the file as corrupt before it gets used.

    In some cases, this is a big hint that you should restore it from backup
    (tape, other disk, etc).

    I think that it is a generally useful thing even when not on a self
    correcting device,

    ric

      Last update: 2006-07-06 17:23    [W:0.020 / U:30.184 seconds]