SubjectRe: ext4 features (checksums)
Bill Davidsen wrote:

> > I believe that implementing RAID in the filesystem has many benefits
> too:
> > - multiple RAID levels: store metadata in triple-mirror RAID 1, random
> > write intensive data in RAID 1, bulk data in RAID 5/6
> > - improved write throughput - since stripes can be variable size, any
> > large enough write fills a whole stripe
> >
> I rather like the idea of allowing metadata to be on another device in
> general, or at least the inodes. That way a very small chunk size can be
> used for the inodes, to spread head motion, while a larger chunk size is
> appropriate for data in some cases.

If your workload is metadata intensive, your data disks are idle; if
you're reading data, the inode device is gathering dust. You can run out
of inodes before you run out of space and vice-versa. Very suboptimal.

A symmetric configuration allows full use of all resources for any
workload, at the cost of increased complexity - every extent has its own
RAID level and RAID component devices.

> Larger max block sizes would be useful as well. Feel free to discuss the
> actual value of "larger."

Filesystems should use extents, not blocks, avoiding the block size
tradeoff entirely.