    SubjectRe: ext4 features
    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:02:40 EDT, Theodore Tso said:

    > So such a scheme would only be used when some Ph.D. student has ten
    > years of thesis research on a disk with no backups and then
    > accidentally runs mkfs on the wrong partition..... of course, one
    > could argue that such a stupid student doesnt *deserve* to get a Ph.D. :-)

    The more common use case is a department hires a grad student to run the
    department server rather than somebody who knows what they're doing (but
    costs more than a grad student stipend), and said grad student first sets
    up a borked backup scheme that looks like it works, but doesn't actually
    produce restorable backups, and then runs mkfs on /home, nuking all the
    thesis work of all the students....

    (And yes, I've seen that more than once in a quarter century of working
    at .edu's... ;)

      Last update: 2006-07-04 21:32    [W:0.022 / U:241.456 seconds]