    SubjectRe: [01/04 mm-patch, rfc] Add lightweight rwlock
    On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 04:06:15PM +0900, Masatake YAMATO wrote:
    > > The following set of patches adds a struct lw_rwlock (for lightweight
    > > rwlock) which contains a spin_lock_t and an atomic_t. It is defined
    > > in include/linux/lw_rwlock.h.
    > I think the name, "lightweight" is too generic.
    Fair enough.
    > It implies just lw_rwlock is better than rwlock. The name may lead that people
    > use lw_rwlock rather than rwlock any place through there are places where
    > rwlock is better than lw_rwlock. So I looked for the name:
    > sw_rwlock: seldom writing rwlock
    > wp_rwlock: write pricey rwlock

    write expensive, we_rwlock? I like your idea of stressing the fact that
    the protected data has to be seldom modified if you intend to use this
    kind of lock.

    > rp_rwlock: read prioritized rwlock
    I'll re-submit the patch with a proper naming for the rc3-mm1. However, I'd
    like to get some feedback on the code itself: the current
    whatever_rwlock code won't be debuggable with lockdep, and I'm not sure
    there's not some more clever way to do it.

      Last update: 2006-07-31 11:09    [W:0.023 / U:2.976 seconds]