    SubjectRe: Solaris ZFS on Linux [Was: Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by regarding reiser4 inclusion]
    Different users have different needs.

    I agree, there are many users who can not afford any

    I worked at the NYSE and they reboot all their
    computers once a week. We had a policy at NYSE. If
    you suspect a computer has hardware problems, take it
    off line. It is better to be short a few computers
    then have that computer bring everything down. And fix
    that computer off line. Until last year I worked at
    world wide webmail provider. And trust me they could
    not avoid downtime. But the fact is everyone has down
    time, because hardware breaks and software is broken.

    However on the other hand if I am using a filesystem
    for recording TV programs or to play home computer
    games. Downtime is not the problem I really care
    about. I am rebooting lots anyway.

    The problem I see is managing disk errors. NOT
    repackers, unless ofcourse I need to run it all the
    time just to keep the filesystem in a usable state.

    The question is why not include lots of new
    filesystems. reiser4, ZFS
    They both have their own markets. And perhaps a
    really good clustering filesystem for markets that
    require NO downtime.

    --- Theodore Tso <> wrote:

    > On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:31:32PM -0500, David
    > Masover wrote:
    > > So you use a repacker. Nice thing about a
    > repacker is, everyone has
    > > downtime. Better to plan to be a little sluggish
    > when you'll have
    > > 1/10th or 1/50th of the users than be MUCH slower
    > all the time.
    > Actually, that's a problem with log-structured
    > filesystems in general.
    > There are quite a few real-life workloads where you
    > *don't* have
    > downtime. The thing is, in a global economy, you

    Do You Yahoo!?

      Last update: 2006-08-01 05:49    [W:0.021 / U:4.124 seconds]