    SubjectRe: suspend2 merge history [was Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by regarding reiser4 inclusion]
    Hua Zhong wrote:
    >> Moreover, if the swsusp's resume doesn't work for you and
    >> suspend2's resume does, this probably means that suspend2
    >> contains some driver fixes that haven't been submitted for merging.
    > This statement worries me for several reasons.
    > First, I've seen repeatedly blame for "drivers". People might buy it if there was not a working suspend2. I never saw Nigal blame
    > drivers; instead he makes sure to provide working code. In the end, users want a working suspend, and that's what counts.
    > Second, if the current swsusp maintainers have genuine interest for the users (not just "it works on my machine"), I would think
    > they'd have taken a serious look at why suspend2 has a higher success rate. But from the above comment, you are not even sure why
    > that is, and could only speculate "this probably means (drivers)". I could hardly be convinced that the current maintainers have
    > been trying to work with Nigal to improve Linux suspend.
    > At last, "maintainer" is not just a title or a feeling of superiority, it's a responsibility of providing a great system to the
    > users. I'll just quote Linus when he was flaming suspend-to-ram a couple of months ago. Replace it with suspend-to-disk at your own
    > will:
    > "The fact that worries me is that suspend-to-ram DOES NOT WORK FOR PEOPLE.
    > I have never _ever_ met a laptop or machine of mine that "just worked".
    > I've always had to fix something, and people always end up having to do
    > something ridiculous like unlink all modules etc.
    > If that isn't what worries you, you're on the wrong page."

    That's the way I feel, I'm glad someone who can't be ignored feels the
    same way. There is always a reason why the working version can't be put
    in mainline, there's always a reason why it doesn't work on my machines
    but I'm assured that it works on {someone}'s machine so I must have a
    bad {bios|setup|partition table|attitude}.

    Bill Davidsen <>
    Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a
    normal user and is setuid root, with the "vi" line edit mode selected,
    and the character set is "big5," an off-by-one errors occurs during
    wildcard (glob) expansion.

      Last update: 2006-07-30 01:19    [W:0.024 / U:11.360 seconds]