SubjectRe: BIOS detects 4 GB RAM, but kernel does not
Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca> writes:

> Athlon 64/Opteron CPUs have support for moving this part of the RAM
> above 4GB to allow it to be used. This is part of the CPU's on-die
> memory controller so no special chipset support is needed.

In cheap boards >3.5GB RAM configurations are usually not officially
supported by the vendor (= not tested) and there are systems where it
doesn't work when enabled in the BIOS (doesn't work = kernel crashes
randomly when accessing bad memory ranges)

I guess it's a subtle hint that above 3GB of RAM you should be using
ECC DIMMs anyways, which need a more expensive workstation class
board.

-Andi

  Last update: 2006-07-30 00:25    [W:0.026 / U:0.564 seconds]