    SubjectRe: Generic battery interface
    Hi!

    > > >The applets that were doing it (yes, up to 100 times per second)
    > > >corrected their ways pretty quickly, because some machines became
    > > >unusable with the applet enabled.
    > >
    > > Exactly -- and they've been working merrily ever since.
    > > And if you don't want to trust applet developers, cache the latest
    > > reads and refresh them only if X jiffies have passed.
    >
    > The timer interrupt still has to happen every time their select() or
    > sleep() expires, with the system having to wake up, even when nothing
    > happened. Polling from userspace is bad.

    I do not understand this. Any polling (in kernel or in userspace) will
    wake the CPU, wasting power.

    OTOH "high/low/very low" battery applet can reasonably query battery
    every 5 minutes, while detailed, graphical thingie displaying the
    current power consumption will probably poll every 10 seconds...
    Pavel