    SubjectAreca arcmsr kernel integration
    It would be really nice to see the arcmsr driver integrated into the
    mainline kernel in the nearish future.

    Ideally, the driver would be available before the next major
    distribution is published so that the hardware can be officially
    supported by the distribution developers eg. Novell, Red Hat, Canonical
    ... etc.

    After a brief review of upcoming schedules, Fedora Core looks to be
    updated next in October with the last test release currently scheduled
    for October. After that it will probably be SuSE.

    We have a good number of workstations with this hardware here, but
    support isn't available from our distribution.

    Checking the recent posts it seems that there are two outstanding issues

    > - PAE (cast of dma_addr_t to unsigned long) issues.
    > - SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE is ignored. This is wrong. The sync cache in the

    > shutdown notifier isn't sufficient.

    That said, we have been using an older version of the driver off the
    Areca website for some time now with no major issues (other than kernel
    update problems).

    Is it possible to get the driver integrated and fix these problems
    after?

    Ted Bullock
    Nortel Networks

      Last update: 2006-07-28 20:11    [W:0.031 / U:1.564 seconds]