    SubjectRe: the ' 'official' point of view' expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion
    From

    On Wed, July 26, 2006 02:44, David Masover wrote:
    > Hans Reiser wrote:
    >

    >> to use as his default. Now that we paid the 5 year development price tag
    >> to get everything as plugins, we can now upgrade in littler pieces than
    >> any other FS. Hmm, I need a buzz phrase, its not extreme programming,
    >> maybe "moderate programming". Does that sound exciting to
    >
    > Hah! No, it doesn't sound exciting.
    >

    > Plugins don't work well either, not as a marketing concept. People have
    > had so many bad experiences with plugins, and they're only ever visible when
    > you have a bad experience. Think about it -- missing plugin (so you have to
    > download it),

    marketing?
    </joke mode on>
    if you do not like the word "plugin" why don't you suggest some alternative?
    like "modules"?
    </joke mode off>

    Seriously, please leave out this kind of marketing. The plugin concept in
    reiser4 is probably the most interessant feature I filesystem some users
    could need.

    > Fluid programming? If you build a solution from the bottom up with
    > gravel or large rocks, you leave gaps that are hard to fill without ripping
    > off the top layer and redoing it. But if you can do fluid programming, your
    > program just flows around any obstacle, and into every crack / between every
    > space (metaphor for new customer requirements)...

    probably I do not know english enought well to appraciate this metaphor and
    to understand what it means.

      Last update: 2006-07-26 10:01    [W:0.026 / U:29.848 seconds]