    SubjectRe: 2.6.17-mm5 -- Busted toolchain? -- usr/klibc/exec_l.c:59: undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail'
    On 7/2/06, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:

    > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GccSsp
    > >
    > > It appears that Ubuntu's Edgy Eft (the development tree) now contains
    > > "Stack Smashing Protection" enabled by default. I found a web page
    > > that states that -fno-stack-protector can be used to disable this
    > > functionality. Interestingly, another web page stated that SSP has
    > > been enabled in Redhat compilers for a long time and is now also
    > > enabled in Debian SID. Perhaps -fno-stack-protector should be added
    > > to the kernel build be default?
    >

    > gcc 4.1 and later have this feature yes.
    > HOWEVER the gcc people were not stupid, they did not force this on
    > people, they require you to put -fstack-protector on the commandline.
    > Debian and RH/Fedora do this.
    > If Ubuntu patched gcc rather than just putting it in the build
    > environment... then you should switch to a less braindead distribution
    > really ;)
    > or at least ask them to fix this.

    Well, from the web page referenced at the top of this message, you
    can see that they are already aware of these issues:

    Cons:
    * It breaks current upstream kernel builds and potentially
    other direct usages of gcc. Kernel is by far the most important use
    case. Upstream should change the default options to build with
    -fno-stack-protector by default.
    * It is not conformant to upstream gcc behaviour.

    You can reach the key people who are working on this for Ubuntu here:
    Matt Zimmerman -- mdz at ubuntu dot com
    Martin Pitt -- martin.pitt at ubuntu dot com

    Perhaps you can convince them to back out this functional change?

    Does this mean that you don't want to see these fno-stack-protector
    patches go into Andrew's tree?

    Miles

      Last update: 2006-07-02 19:10    [W:0.029 / U:29.832 seconds]