    SubjectRe: Where is RLIMIT_RT_CPU?
    On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 00:19 +1000, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:
    > > Non-root RT tasks are not "unprivileged" - they have a level of
    > > privileges between a normal user and root. Really I think it's OK for
    > > these tasks to consume 100% CPU, as the admin has explicitly allowed it.
    >
    > Sure, if the admin has allowed it, but I think it's also OK for desktop
    > users to have access to rt scheduling by default, as long as their tasks
    > are "well-behaved" (i.e. only use a few percent CPU).
    >
    > > The only problem is that Ubuntu shipped with this enabled for everyone.
    >
    > The problem is not the fact that it's enabled, but the fact that the
    > amount of CPU allowed isn't restricted.

    as long as you can fork and exec as many of those processes as you want
    a per process rlimit is useless security wise... an evil user just fires
    off a second process just before the first one gets killed and a non-RT
    root still is starved out.

      Last update: 2006-07-15 16:47    [W:0.021 / U:117.972 seconds]