    SubjectRe: utrace vs. ptrace
    Date
    On Thursday 13 July 2006 11:24, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
    > > utrace enables something like 'transparent live debugging': an app
    > > crashes in your distro, a window pops up, and you can 'hand over' a
    > > debugging session to a developer you trust. Or you can instruct the
    > > system to generate a coredump. Or you can generate a shorter summary
    > > of the crash, sent to a central site.
    >
    > not to mention that utrace could be used to move most of the ELF
    > coredumping code out of the kernel. (the moment you have access to all
    > crashed threads userspace can construct its own coredump - instead of
    > having the kernel construct a coredump file) Roland's patch does not go
    > as far yet, but it could be a possible target.

    I'm not sure that's particularly useful (I think I would prefer to keep
    it in kernel), but executing a program when a core dump happens is useful with
    lots of applications. I had patches for this
    that i should probably submit at some point.

    -Andi

    > Ingo

      Last update: 2006-07-13 14:39    [W:0.019 / U:1.176 seconds]