SubjectRe: annoying frequent overcurrent messages.
Dave Jones wrote:

> I have a box that's having its dmesg flooded with..
>
> hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1
> hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2
> hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1
> hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2

> over and over again..
> The thing is, this box doesn't even have any USB devices connected to it,
> so there's absolutely nothing I can do to remedy this.

Well, overcurrent is a potentially dangerous situation. That's why it
gets reported with dev_err priority.

Evidently it's a hardware fault. Perhaps the overcurrent-detect input
lines are floating and constantly triggering as a result. It's not even
clear that attaching a USB device would make the problem go away.

Since you're not using the UHCI controller on that computer, you could
simply rmmod uhci-hcd (or modify /etc/modprobe.conf to prevent it from
being loaded in the first place). That would stop the constant interrupts
and the syslog spamming.

But as for fixing the underlying hardware problem, I don't think there's
anything we can do.

Alan Stern

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans