    SubjectRe: annoying frequent overcurrent messages.
    Dave Jones wrote:

    > I have a box that's having its dmesg flooded with..
    >
    > hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1
    > hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2
    > hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 1
    > hub 1-0:1.0: over-current change on port 2

    > over and over again..
    > The thing is, this box doesn't even have any USB devices connected to it,
    > so there's absolutely nothing I can do to remedy this.

    Well, overcurrent is a potentially dangerous situation. That's why it
    gets reported with dev_err priority.

    Evidently it's a hardware fault. Perhaps the overcurrent-detect input
    lines are floating and constantly triggering as a result. It's not even
    clear that attaching a USB device would make the problem go away.

    Since you're not using the UHCI controller on that computer, you could
    simply rmmod uhci-hcd (or modify /etc/modprobe.conf to prevent it from
    being loaded in the first place). That would stop the constant interrupts
    and the syslog spamming.

    But as for fixing the underlying hardware problem, I don't think there's
    anything we can do.

    Alan Stern

      Last update: 2006-07-12 16:23    [W:0.019 / U:31.504 seconds]