    SubjectRe: short term task list for Reiser4
    Clay Barnes wrote:

    >On 15:04 Tue 11 Jul , Hans Reiser wrote:
    >

    >>6) optimize fsync --- substantive task which requires using fixed area
    >>for write twice logging, and using write twice logging for fsync'd
    >>data. It might require creating mount options to choose whether to
    >>optimize for serialized sequential fsyncs vs. lazy fsyncs.
    >>

    >With the serialized sequential fsync, is that essentially what I was
    >talking about earlier with slowly streaming dirty writes to disk when
    >the HDD is idle? If that's the case, I don't see the advantage in having
    >lazy fsyncs

    if you are optimizing throughput rather than latency, then you let
    things get to disk whenever they get there, and you let the app hang
    while it waits. A mailer processing many requests in parallel might find
    30 seconds of latency to be just fine but a database might find 3
    seconds of latency to be too much. (I make up these examples, mailer
    programmers please correct me.)

    > except in situations where you want to keep the HDD spun down
    >as much as possible.

    No, that is not when you do it.

    >I've been meaning to hose my laptop (assuming I fix one problem with my
    >desktop), so I am willing to help write Gentoo install docs (or possibly
    >Arch Linux). I can also test exsiting instructions.

    That would be way cool.
    <http://wiki.namesys.com/Reiser4-GettingStarted#preview>

      Last update: 2006-07-12 01:13    [W:0.023 / U:0.072 seconds]