    SubjectRe: RFC: cleaning up the in-kernel headers
    On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:37:33PM +0200, Jörn Engel wrote:

    > > That is version 2 of the script. There are also versions 3 & 4.
    > >

    > Boy, it took me a while to remember what I did back then. In
    > principle, the script just compiles trivial c files with a single
    > #include <linux/foo.h>
    > inside.

    Sure, but it seems quite useful for this task.

    > Not too bad in principle, but there were two problems I couldn't
    > solve:
    > 1. One of the goals should be to make a compile faster, not slower.
    > Adding further includes hardly helps.

    For me, this is not a goal.

    It might perhaps be a side effect, but I care about correctness, not
    about compile time.

    > 2. It is practically impossible to test every possible combination of
    > #ifdefs in the various headers pulled in.

    It's not perfect, but it finds a subset of the problems.

    There also other possible problems like stuff only used in a #define.

    The perfect is the enemy of the good.

    > Problem 1 would be fairly simple, as the script could be changed
    > slightly to prune single #include lines from headers and see if they
    > still compile. But then there is problem 2.
    > One possibility to tackly problem 2 would be to create a set of config
    > files to use for automatic testing. Instead of compiling once, a
    > header must get compiled with every config in the set. Hopefully this
    > set would not grow too big.
    > And in the end, there is just so much you can automate. Humans have
    > to think about the changes before sending patches.

    i don't think the header cleanup could be completely automated.

    But if automated tools help that's a good thing.

    > Jörn

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2006-07-12 00:43    [W:0.024 / U:20.784 seconds]