SubjectRe: [Alsa-devel] OSS driver removal, 2nd round (v2)
Użytkownik Lee Revell napisał:
> On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 10:30 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:15:28 +0200, Adam =?ISO-8859-2?B?VGxhs2th?= said:
>>> Sorry to say but it is just not that way. Window manager is for managing windows
>>> and it shouldn't depend on any audio system. It should use an external app using exec call
>>> to play sounds (aplay, sox, wavplay etc.) configured by some config option.
>> So what you're saying is that something like 'esd' *is* needed. (It's
>> certainly silly to keep doing fork/exec for every little sound sample when
>> you can just leave the app running and hand it requests...)
>
> That approach also won't be reliable as it ignores the realtime
> constraint that is inherent in audio playback. It will probably work on
> a fast/lightly loaded machine but will glitch out under load.

Yes, that is true. It was just simple example how you can get simple
sound effects without many lines of code. In case of heavy load or too
many events in short period of time this method is not working correctly
but this is not the main functionality of a window manager program.
Anyway you can aggregate events if there are too many of them and play
only one sound or not play anything at all. For this kind of program
it is quite acceptable and not breaks main functionality.

> It's how GDM plays startup/shutdown sounds and it sucks - on shutdown
> the sound is choppy. You either need a dedicated daemon running
> SCHED_FIFO or an RT thread for reliable audio playback.

True - and that makes things more complicated. I don't know if it is
worth it just for bells and whistles. In other cases you do need to
program more sophisticated sound support and RT thread probably will be
your solution. Or some kind of sound server which holds your sound
samples so you can fire them at the proper time.
ALSA lib is a low level library. Sometimes we need more abstract
functions like load(s, "sound.wav) and then play(s) without bothering
about all these parameters settings. So maybe OpenAL is a some kind of a
solution but I don't know its current status.

Regards
--
Adam Tlałka mailto:atlka@pg.gda.pl ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
Computer Center, Gdańsk University of Technology, Poland