    SubjectRe: [klibc] klibc and what's the next step?
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Olaf Hering wrote:
    >>> It's a proposal, and I personally think it makes sense. If done, it is
    >>> obviously very important that it doesn't change the overall operation of
    >>> the system.
    >> I think you can have that today, parted uses BLKPG to add and remoe
    >> things. No idea what the benefit would be, but thats not relavant for
    >> kinit or no kinit.
    > The notion that the kernel itself should do no partition parsing at all
    > was advocated by Andries Brouwer. I violently disagree. Anything that the
    > lack of which makes a normal system basically unusable should go into the
    > kernel.

    Does that mean "in kernel space", "in the kernel distribution" or "in
    memory completely under the control by the kernel?" That is really what
    this is about.

    There could be a klibc-build binary in rootfs, build at the time the
    kernel was built, that can be invoked by the kernel in parallel with

    > Yes, the kernel rules are heuristics, but so would inevitably any
    > user-level rules be too, so I don't want to move partition detection to
    > initrd or similar.

    The whole point of putting klibc in the kernel tree is so we can do this
    kind of stuff without breaking the stock kernel build as a
    self-contained entity. Without that objective, Olaf is right that it is
    not necessary.

      Last update: 2006-07-11 21:41    [W:0.023 / U:39.324 seconds]