    SubjectRe: Will there be Intel Wireless 3945ABG support?
    Date
    On Tuesday 11 July 2006 19:25, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
    > Alistair John Strachan wrote:
    > >>
    > >> It will not be in 2.6.18. Making 2.6.19 is not out of the question,
    > >> but it may take some work.
    > >
    > > Has some agreement been met regarding the mandatory use of the binary
    > > regulatory daemon? The webpage seems to suggest it is still necessary,
    > > and I'm sure that would disqualify merging the driver with Linux proper.
    >
    > Why not?
    > The whole point is running a system that you know you can support for many
    > years, even without a vendor support...
    > And to have a system that you know exactly what running in it...
    > Having a binary closed source violate this.
    >
    > Also there is no good reason why supplying this daemon as closed source...
    > All they wish is people don't mess with their frequencies, and sooner or
    > later someone will...

    Don't misinterpret me, that's exactly my feeling too. Ignoring the politics
    and questionable legality entirely, as a matter of practicality, when Intel
    inevitably abandon these cards 5 years from now and their daemon rots, will I
    still be able to use my wireless card? I think not.

    Also, I can't see any reason why a mini-pci version of this couldn't work in a
    system other than x86/x86-64, even if Intel don't design such machines.

    In my view, it would be unacceptable to merge.

    --
    Cheers,
    Alistair.

    Final year Computer Science undergraduate.