    SubjectRe: [Alsa-devel] OSS driver removal, 2nd round
    On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 08:43 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
    > Olivier Galibert wrote:
    > > On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:29:26PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
    > >> Even if you reject this argument, the bug is in ALSA's in-kernel OSS
    > >> emulation, not the emu10k1 driver.
    > >
    > > That's irrelevant. You can't remove the oss emu10k1 driver in favor
    > > of alsa's until alsa provides an equivalent interface. That's a basic
    > > compatibility requirement.
    > >

    > >> ALSA's in-kernel OSS emulation does not have these features and
    > >> never will.
    > >
    > > "Never" is terribly long.
    > >
    > > OG.
    > "Never" probably only means terribly long. :-)
    > If one takes the ALSA todo list, that is massive (it is so long in fact,
    > that we have not had time to write it all down!), sort it by priority,
    > then divide by the amount of ALSA developers time available, for this
    > particular feature, the time to implementation is getting very close to
    > "Never".

    The reason I say "never" is because it would either require moving
    alsa-lib into the kernel (long ago rejected), or devising some system to
    redirect operations on /dev/dsp back into userspace to alsa-lib. It
    seems insane for the audio path to be
    userspace->kernel->userspace->kernel and I'm pretty sure this idea was
    also rejected a while back.

      Last update: 2006-07-02 00:08    [W:0.035 / U:0.088 seconds]