    SubjectRe: [klibc] klibc and what's the next step?

    On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Theodore Tso wrote:
    > This is going to be a problem given that people are hell-bent at
    > chucking functionality out of the kernel into userspace.

    Btw, I'm not necessarily one of those people.

    There _are_ some things that can be better done in user space, but on the
    other hand, other things really are better off in the kernel.

    The argument that user space is more debuggable has been shown to be
    largely a red herring. User space is only more debuggable if it does
    something independent, and we've seen that user space is _harder_ to debug
    than kernel space if we have events going back and forth.

    For example, the old pcmcia layer in user space was crap, crap, crap, and
    at least I fount it was MUCH harder to debug than the all-in-kernel code.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:5.432 seconds]