    SubjectRe: [KBUILD] allow any PHONY in if_changed_dep
    Date

    On Jul 1, 2006, at 4:39 AM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

    > On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 04:16:56AM -0500, Milton Miller wrote:
    >> While all the if_changed family filter $(PHONY) from the list of newer
    >> files, if_changed_dep was only filtering FORCE from the list of all
    >> dependents. This resulted in forced recompile every time.
    >
    > I see where you are heading with this. But on the principle of minimal
    > suprise this is not good. Why does it not include file.o in the link
    > when I mark it phony?

    This is your suprise argument, right? (Not my current problem).

    Actually this is only changing weither file.o gets considered in
    causing the build command to be executed.

    > The root cause is buried in the powerpc/boot/Makefile restructuring.
    > I do not see what is wrong with current approch if you do a simple
    > s/cmd/if_changed/g and then assign targets += <relevant targets>

    The issue is I need headers copied for some of the files. The current
    approach is any file that might need a copied header gets a dependency
    on all of the copied .h files. I was planning on coping some more
    headers used in different files. if_changed_dep

    The issue is specifically COPYFILES. The .o can not be built until
    its dependencys are met, but it never exists itself. The actual .h
    files a given source will be detected by if_changed_dep and fixdep.

    > You need to post a full diff of the Makefile before I can give better
    > feedback.

    Sure. I'm reposting the series, I'll cc you and copy the makefile
    patch to linux-kernel, its 3/5. That patch is independent of 1 and 2
    while 4 and 5 require them. The full series is available on the
    linuxppc-dev mailing list.

    milton

      Last update: 2006-07-02 01:39    [W:0.022 / U:30.220 seconds]