    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    On Jun 09, 2006  16:04 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Theodore Tso wrote:
    > > And what ugly hacks are you talking about? It's actually quite clean;
    > > with the latest e2fsprogs, you use the same command (resize2fs) for
    > > doing both online and offline resizing.
    >
    > Consider a blkdev of size S1. Using LVM we increase that value under
    > the hood to size S2, where S2 > S1. We perform an online resize from
    > size S1 to S2. The size and alignment of any new groups added will
    > different from the non-resize case, where mke2fs was run directly on a
    > blkdev of size S2.

    Umm, and how is that a problem? Either you want online resizing because
    it provides some useful functionality, or you don't want it because you
    are concerned with something that nobody else in the world is. In the
    latter case, don't use it. Even if the metadata alignment is slightly
    different on disk doesn't make it in any way an invalid filesystem. In
    fact, online resizing is 100% compatible after the resize back to the
    dark ages of linux.

    Cheers, Andreas
    --
    Andreas Dilger