    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    On 6/9/06, Joel Becker <> wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:50:36PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
    > > On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 01:38:03PM -0700, Joel Becker wrote:
    > > > that the older code cannot read. Alex claims people just shouldn't use
    > > > "-o extents", but the fact is their distro will choose it for them.
    > >
    > > .. on partitions over a certain size, which couldn't be read with
    > > older ext3 filesystems _anyway_
    > Certainly that would be fine. Is that what will actually
    > happen? Experience says no. Even if you get it right in your distro,
    > not all distros will. Heck, can you promise me that your distro will
    > provide e2fsprogs updates to its older releases so that multiboot will
    > continue to work?

    If the kernel were bound by all the stakeholders' ability to _always_
    "do the right thing" very little innovation would be possible. These
    tenuous arguments of hypothetical (ab)users are tiresome.

    If the distro vendor did default to ext3+extents and it screwed your
    hypothetical extents-naive user (booting a non-vendor kernel isn't
    something your mom is going to do) then they strayed too far from
    their Linux comfort-zone. If worst came to worst _THE UPDATED
    FEATURE_. God forbid the naive-user get an error when they try
    something they shouldn't.

      Last update: 2006-06-09 23:54    [W:0.020 / U:29.804 seconds]