    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    Jeff Garzik writes:

    > Theodore Tso wrote:
    > > And I'd also dispute with your "weren't really suited for the original
    > > ext2-style design" comment. Ext2/3 was always designed to be
    > > extensible from the start, and we've successfully added features quite
    > > successfully for quite a while.
    >
    > Although not the only disk format change, extents are a pretty big
    > one. Will this be the last major on-disk format change?

    You keep making "straw that broke the camel's back" type arguments
    without saying why this particular straw (rather than the other
    compatibility-breaking features that are already in ext3) is the one
    that must not be allowed. Is it a matter of taste, or is there some
    objective threshold that extents cross?

    > >> Rather than taking another decade to slowly fix ext2 design
    > >> decisions, why not move the process along a bit more rapidly?
    > >> Release early, release often...
    > > I don't think it will be another decade, but yes, regardless of
    > > whether we do a code fork or not, it will take time. Basically, you
    > > and the ext2 developers have a disagreement about whether or not a
    > > code fork will actually move the process along more quickly or not.
    > > Either way, we will be releasing early and often, so people can test
    > > it out and comment on it. Releasing patches to LKML is just the first
    > > step in this process.
    >
    > I don't see how a larger filesystem codebase could possibly move more
    > quickly than a smaller codebase. You'd have twice as many code paths
    > to worry about.

    This is also the case when you cut and paste an entire filesystem's
    source code, as has been mentioned several times in this thread.

    Michael Poole

      Last update: 2006-06-09 23:47    [W:0.022 / U:0.796 seconds]