    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:55:09PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > That is what the entirety of Linux development is -- step-by-step.
    >
    > It is OBVIOUS that it would take five minutes to start ext4.
    >
    > 1) clone a new tree
    > 2) cp -a fs/ext3 fs/ext4
    > 3) apply extent and 48bit patches
    > 4) apply related e2fsprogs patches
    >
    > Then update ext4 step-by-step, using the normal Linux development process.

    We don't do this with the SCSI layer where we make a complete clone of
    the driver layer so that there is a /usr/src/linux/driver/scsi and
    /usr/src/linux/driver/scsi2, do we? And we didn't do that with the
    networking layer either, as we added ipsec, ipv6, softnet, and a whole
    host of other changes and improvements.

    What we do instead is we have a series of patches, which can be made
    available in various experimental trees, and as they get more
    polishing and experience with people using it without any problems,
    they can get merged into the -mm tree, and then eventually, when they
    are deemed ready, into mainline. That is also the normal Linux
    development process, and it's worked quite well up until now with ext3.

    Folks seem to be worried about ext3 being "too important to experiment
    with", but the fact remains, we've been doing continuous improvement
    with ext3 for quite some time, and it's been quite smooth. The htree
    introduction was essentially completely painless, for example --- and
    people liked the fact that they could get the features of indexed
    directories without needing to do a complete dump and restore of the
    filesystem.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2006-06-09 22:00    [W:0.035 / U:59.784 seconds]