    SubjectRe: [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    Ar Gwe, 2006-06-09 am 09:42 -0600, ysgrifennodd Matthew Wilcox:
    > Hang on, you're going too far. You have to enable extents with the
    > extent mount option. Otherwise you don't get to use them. The user
    > does, in fact, have a clear division, although maybe the blinky signs
    > aren't quite luminous enough.

    <mba marketing>
    I'd rather the blinky sign was "ext4". It makes it clear it is a
    progression and it also gives everyone something to put in the features
    box and talk to the press about 8)
    </mba>

    > I still think making ext3 bigger than 16TB is just silly.

    We recently fixed a 'If the disk is 4TB in size the geometry reporting
    breaks and parted crashes' bug. The stuff is out there and people want
    to run ext3 on it or an ext3 derivative they feel they trust. Does it
    matter whether it is the most optimal solution, that'll sort itself out
    as ext3.5/ext4, reiser4, jfs, xfs etc get picked and demanded by users

    Alan

      Last update: 2006-06-09 19:16    [W:0.020 / U:30.224 seconds]