    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3
    Date
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Alex Tomas wrote:
    >
    > > I believe it's as stable as before until you mount with extents
    > > mount option.
    >
    > In contrast, the last time two different filesystems introduced bugs in
    > each other was approximately "never". They simply don't modify each others

    > code, they don't look at each others data structures, and they don't jump
    > into each others routines.

    As an interested bystander (and large filesystem user), I'd say I tend to
    agree with Linus and Jeff on this one.

    * ext3 is arguably the main Linux filesystem: too important to keep
    "experimenting" with.

    * I'd encourage a >2TB version, but call it ext4. It makes it clear
    that you are entering new territory.

    * Take advantage of the switch to remove some of the backward compatibility
    cruft from the ext4 version -- make it a clean, explicit break.

    * [Possibly even inoculate ext3 against creeping featuris and work on
    cleanup and optimization instead.]

    This is not intended to slight the work/position of the ext3 developers,
    merely to inform them of an end-user's perspective.

    ----
    Jeff Anderson-Lee
    Petabyte Storage Infrastructure Project
    University of California Berkeley
    "Simplify, simplify, simplify." -- Henry David Thoreau
    "I think one 'simplify' would have sufficed." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

      Last update: 2006-06-09 19:15    [W:0.029 / U:0.120 seconds]