SubjectRe: serial_core: verify_port() in wrong spot?
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:52:31AM -0400, Stuart MacDonald wrote:
> However, in serial_core.c:set_uart_info(), there is a problem. The
> flag should be within the purview of UPF_USR_MASK so that
> non-privileged users can turn it on or off, and yet, I don't want the
> mode to be enabled on UARTs that don't have it which requires
> verification from the low-level driver. There is only one call to
> ops->verify_port(), and it's not in the correct place for this to
> happen.

I'd rather verify_port didn't get used for that - it's purpose is to
validate changes the admin makes to the port.

I don't know why you think that setting 9bit mode should be done this
way rather than through the usual termios methods - the termios methods
already have a way to control the length of each character, so it would
seem logical to put the control in there.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core