    SubjectRe: serial_core: verify_port() in wrong spot?
    On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 10:52:31AM -0400, Stuart MacDonald wrote:
    > However, in serial_core.c:set_uart_info(), there is a problem. The
    > flag should be within the purview of UPF_USR_MASK so that
    > non-privileged users can turn it on or off, and yet, I don't want the
    > mode to be enabled on UARTs that don't have it which requires
    > verification from the low-level driver. There is only one call to
    > ops->verify_port(), and it's not in the correct place for this to
    > happen.

    I'd rather verify_port didn't get used for that - it's purpose is to
    validate changes the admin makes to the port.

    I don't know why you think that setting 9bit mode should be done this
    way rather than through the usual termios methods - the termios methods
    already have a way to control the length of each character, so it would
    seem logical to put the control in there.

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core