SubjectRe: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts
Date
On Thursday 08 June 2006 04:30 am, Antonino A. Daplas wrote:
> Daniel Hazelton wrote:
> >
> > Okay. I'll stick this on my list. Shouldn't be too hard to get to,
> > provided I can finish up my work on drmcon. (Tony, I'm still waiting on
> > that unloadable fbcon/fbdev bit and the userspace fbdev driver you
> > mentioned)
>
> I already have a preliminary patch that allows the binding and unbinding
> of fbcon which I sent to lkml and fbdev-devel. Jon and Andrew are against
> having the control in fbcon, so I'm currently working on another patch
> that will transfer the control to the console layer. It was a bit more
> complicated that what I thought, but I'm almost done. I'm just in
> debugging mode, and so far I haven't encountered any major problems.

Gotcha. Not having control in fbcon? Understandable. I don't think vgacon has
that control in it, and see no reason for it to be in fbcon either.

> The nice thing about this change is that it's not restricted to fbcon.
> Other console drivers can explicitly bind or unbind, ie, your future
> drmcon.

Now this is a good reason to put the binding/unbinding control in another
place. I had already thought that re-initializing vgacon on an error
condition would be the best way to get the message to the screen. Having the
console binding/unbinding code in a generic layer will make this very easy.

> I may send out the patch within a day or 2. After this, I'll start work on
> the userland driver.
>
> Tony

Thanks Tony. I'll get my nose back into drmcon and see if I can't get it into
shape soon myself.

DRH

  Last update: 2006-06-09 04:47    [W:0.664 / U:0.284 seconds]