    SubjectRe: Idea about a disc backed ram filesystem
    Matheus Izvekov <> wrote:

    > I had a somewhat similar idea, once i have time to implement it ill
    > submit a patch.
    > My idea consisted of adding the capability to specify a device for
    > tmpfs mounting. if you dont specify any device, tmpfs continues to
    > behave the way it currently is. But if you do, once data doesnt fit on
    > ram (or some other limit) anymore, it will flush things to this
    > device. my intention was to reuse swap code for this, so you mount a
    > tmpfs passing the dev node of some unused swap device, and it works
    > just like tmpfs with a dedicated swap partition.

    tmpfs does use swap currently. Giving tmpfs a dedicated swap space is dumb,
    as it takes away the possibility of using that space for swapping when not
    in use by tmpfs (and viceversa).
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616

      Last update: 2006-06-09 04:20    [W:0.022 / U:3.036 seconds]