    Subjectklibc - another libc?
    After several mentions of klibc recently, I want to ask a question.

    I understand all the kernel-mode cleanups -- moving initialization
    from kernel to user space is a very good thing.

    But the question really is: why yet another libc? We already have
    dietlibc, uclibc, glibc, now klibc... With modern kernel, initramfs
    will very probably contain quite some programs linked with glibc
    (modprobe/insmod, mdadm/lvm, etc; I highly suggest putting some
    minimal text editor like nvi there too, for rescue purposes) --
    so why not have an option to use whatever libc is available on
    the host platform?

    In the other words, kinit/ipconfig/nfsmount/etc stuff is ok,
    no questions. But the libc itself -- what for?

    And another related question: why not dietlibc which is already
    here, for quite long time?

      Last update: 2006-06-07 10:54    [W:0.502 / U:12.368 seconds]