SubjectRe: merging new drivers (was Re: 2.6.18 -mm merge plans)
On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 09:01 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > 140-odd entries which are being worked on. It's slow and tedious,
> > but in progress.
> What I would do is to concentrate on the small cleanup patches first
> and post them as soon as you fix them. I think a lot of them were
> actually ok without changes. Then bigger stuff piece by piece. You
> don't need to wait to fix everything first.

I totally agree with this approach. There are probably over 900 patches
that have been accepted into mainline as cleanups and bug fixes that
originated from Ingo's -rt patch set. A lot of developers don't realize
how much the -rt patch has helped the mainline kernel.

But to keep the -rt patch maintainable, when a problem or cleanup is
discovered, we try very hard to get that fix into mainline. That way we
don't still need to maintain it. Doesn't the Xen team do the same?

-- Steve