SubjectRe: [RFC 0/5] sched: Add CPU rate caps
Sam Vilain wrote:
> Peter Williams wrote:
>
>> They shouldn't interfere as which scheduler to use is a boot time
>> selection and only one scheduler is in force. It's mainly a coding
>> matter and in particular whether the "scheduler driver" interface would
>> need to be modified or whether your scheduler can be implemented using
>> the current interface.
>>

> Yes, that's the key issue I think - the interface now has more inputs.
>
>>> I guess the big question is - is there a corresponding concept in
>>>

>> It uses the standard run queue structure with per scheduler
>> modifications (via a union) to handle the different ways that the
>> schedulers manage priority arrays (so yes). As I said it restricts
>> itself to scheduling matters within each run queue and leaves the
>> wider aspects to the normal code.
>

> Ok, so there is no existing "classification" abstraction? The
> classification is tied to the scheduler implementation?
>
>> At first guess, it sounds like adding your scheduler could be as simple
>> as taking a copy of ingosched.c (which is the implementation of the
>> standard scheduler within PlugSched) and then making your modifications.
>> You could probably even share the same run queue components but
>> there's nothing to stop you adding new ones.
>>
>> Each scheduler can also have its own per task data via a union in the
>> task struct.
>>

> Ok, sounds like that problem is solved - just the classification one
> remaining.
>
>> OK. I'm waiting for the next -mm kernel before I make the next release.
>>

> Looking forward to it.

A gzipped tar file containing the patch series (against 2.6.17-rc5-mm3)
in a form suitable for use with quilt is now available at:

<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cpuse/plugsched-6.3.2-for-2.6.17-rc5-mm3.series.tar.gz?download>

It's still a bit light in the description area but I figured that it's
better than nothing. Hopefully, the patch names give some idea of their
purpose.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au