SubjectRe: 2.6.17-rc5-mm3
On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:48:45 -0400
Dave Jones <> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 11:20:04PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >

> > - Lots of PCI and USB updates
> >
> > - The various lock validator, stack backtracing and IRQ management problems
> > are converging, but we're not quite there yet.
> Thought I'd try my bi-annual "poke at -mm". Results were less
> than spectacular.
> First the sound driver oopsed.

That's a bug in sound/pci/cs4281.c.

There's a debug patch in -mm
which trips up drivers which request an IRQ before their IRQ handler is
ready to accept IRQs (they'll crash in real life if the IRQ is shared).

> Then, the whole thing locked up after probing the parallel port.
> I disabled it in the BIOS, and then it locked up probing the floppy drive..

That looks like the same thing?

> System is still alive, and responds to keyboard, but makes no forward progress.
> (sysrq-B spewed a lockdep trace and then rebooted. I'll try and get
> that hooked up to a serial console)
> On a whim, I enabled the floppy drive in the BIOS, and rebooted.
> That got me here.
> Same dead userspace.

So does that.

> Off to find a serial cable.

Try reverting debug-shared-irqs.patch, or disable the sound driver?