    SubjectRe: merging new drivers (was Re: 2.6.18 -mm merge plans)
    On Sun, 4 Jun 2006 21:32:23 -0400
    Jeff Garzik <jeff@garzik.org> wrote:

    > On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 01:50:11PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > areca-raid-linux-scsi-driver.patch
    >
    > > I'm going to start sending the Areca driver to James, too. The vendor
    > > has worked hard and the hardware is becoming more important - let's help
    > > them get it in.
    >

    > In general, I'm a bit disappointed at the time it takes new drivers to
    > reach the upstream kernel. I grant that a lot of vendor drivers are
    > unreadable, unmergable shite... but on the other side of the coin, I
    > see a lot of decent drivers get stalled simply because they aren't
    > perfect.
    >
    > I would rather see a driver get "95% there" -- because once a driver is
    > merged into the upstream kernel, it has a lot more visibility, and will
    > inevitably receive the remaining changes and cleanups anyway.

    Yes, I agree. As long as we reasonably think that a piece of code *will*
    become acceptable within a reasonable amount of time then going early is
    safe.

    A large part of that calculation is non-technical: do we believe that the
    originator will do the work to get things finished off. Often, that's a
    pretty easy call to make.

      Last update: 2006-06-05 03:50    [W:0.023 / U:0.328 seconds]