SubjectRe: [RFC]disable msi mode in pci_disable_device
Linas Vepstas wrote:
>> The aim is to be able to recover from a memory parity error in the NIC.
>> Such errors happen sometimes, especially when a cosmic ray comes by. To
>> recover, we restore the state that we saved at the end of the
>> initialization. As saving currently disables MSI, we currently have to
>> restore the state right after saving it at the end of the initialization
>> (see the end of
>> myri10ge_probe in http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/5/23/24).
>>

> My experience dealing with a similar thing suggests that its usually
> easier to restore the state to where it was after a cold boot, but
> before the device driver touched the h/w.

After a cold boot, some initialization is done by Linux before the
driver even touches the device (for instance the BARs). I am not sure
that restoring to the state before Linux initialized the device would be
easier than what we currently do.

Brice

  Last update: 2006-06-04 01:47    [W:0.075 / U:0.056 seconds]