    SubjectRe: Proposal and plan for ext2/3 future development work
    On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 09:14:53PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Agreed overall, though specifically for delayed allocation I think
    > that's an ext4 thing:
    >
    > * First off, I'm a big fan of delalloc, and (like extents) definitely
    > want to see the feature implemented
    > * Delayed allocation, properly done, requires careful interaction with
    > VM writeback (memory pressure or normal writeout), and may require some
    > minor changes to generic code in fs/* and mm/*

    To be honest, I'd like to see more delayed allocation
    infrastructure in the VFS itself. XFS has to maintain an entire chunk
    of state for it, and I suspect ext4 will as well. I'd love to get
    delayed allocation into OCFS2 someday. Why not move to where we can
    share the in-memory accounting code?
    Now, we'd probably want to start by prototyping it in ext4
    directly. Once it's stable as a filesystem feature, we can see where
    XFS and ext4 overlap, etc, etc. But I'd like to keep a more generic
    direction in mind.

    Joel

    --

    "The suffering man ought really to consume his own smoke; there is no
    good in emitting smoke till you have made it into fire."

    Joel Becker
    Principal Software Developer
    Oracle
    E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com
    Phone: (650) 506-8127

      Last update: 2006-06-30 04:03    [W:0.022 / U:0.400 seconds]