    SubjectRe: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats
    Paul Jackson wrote:

    >Shailabh wrote:
    >> long as there are users who are using cpusets ONLY as a means
    >>of reducing sockets to listen to, timestamps will be needed.
    >Could you take one more stab at explaining this.
    >It made no sense to me this time around. Sorry.

    In the current taskstats interface, there is only a single stream of
    taskstats structures coming out
    from the kernel. There is some ordering there. Lets say this ordering
    info is of some relevance to a
    consumer of taskstats (very big and possibly faulty assumption there !)

    Now we move to a design where the kernel is sending the same data out in
    multiple streams.
    If the consumer wants to reconstruct the ordering she would have got
    under the current scheme (even
    approximately), she would need to know how to merge sort these streams
    and for that she would
    need timestamp data on each of the taskstats structs.

    Assumption is a bit of a stretch admittedly. But since timestamping
    costs so little, might as well put one
    in (will also help CSA do one less thing)

      Last update: 2006-06-30 03:03    [W:0.021 / U:18.952 seconds]