    SubjectRe: [Suspend2][ 0/9] Extents support.
    On 6/27/06, Nigel Cunningham <nigel@suspend2.net> wrote:
    > Suspend2 is a
    > reimplementation of swsusp, not a series of incremental modifications. It
    > uses completely different methods for writing the image, storing the metadata
    > and so on. Until recently, the only thing it shared with swsusp was the
    > refrigerator and driver model calls, and even now the sharing of lowlevel
    > code is only a tiny fraction of all that is done.

    This is something I don't understand. Why can you not submit patches
    that simply do things like "change method for writing image" and
    reduce the difference between suspend2 and mainline? It may be more
    work, but I think you will find that incremental changes are a lot
    easier for people to review and merge.

    Right now, it seems like Linus and Andrew have only two choices:

    1. Ignore your submission
    2. Merge all of suspend2

    We have had complete reworks of entire subsystems in the 2.6 series
    without problems, simply because the effort was taken to make the
    changes incrementally.

    > Could I ask what might be a dumb question in this regard - why isn't Reiser4
    > going through the same process?

    reiser4 has been in -mm for quite a while without being merged into
    mainline. I don't think you want the same fate for suspend2.

    Finally, I just want to say I appreciate all the effort you (and Pavel
    and Rafael) are putting into suspend-to-disk. It is critical
    functionality for me and I think we can get both a well functioning
    and maintainable implementation.

    Thanks,
    Rahul
    --