SubjectRe: [RFC] Network namespaces a path to mergable code.
Hello,

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Thinking about this I am going to suggest a slightly different direction
> for get a patchset we can merge.
>
> First we concentrate on the fundamentals.
> - How we mark a device as belonging to a specific network namespace.
> - How we mark a socket as belonging to a specific network namespace.
>
> As part of the fundamentals we add a patch to the generic socket code
> that by default will disable it for protocol families that do not indicate
> support for handling network namespaces, on a non-default network namespace.
>
> I think that gives us a path that will allow us to convert the network stack
> one protocol family at a time instead of in one big lump.
>
> Stubbing off the sysfs and sysctl interfaces in the first round for the
> non-default namespaces as you have done should be good enough.
>
> The reason for the suggestion is that most of the work for the protocol
> stacks ipv4 ipv6 af_packet af_unix is largely noise, and simple
> replacement without real design work happening. Mostly it is just
> tweaking the code to remove global variables, and doing a couple
> lookups.

How that proposal differs from the initial Daniel's patchset ? how far was
that patchset to reach a similar agreement ?

OK, i wear blue socks :), but I'm not advocating a patchset more than
another i'm just looking for a shorter path.

thanks,

C.

  Last update: 2006-06-28 12:23    [W:0.141 / U:0.720 seconds]