SubjectRe: Kernel API Reference Documentation
On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:22:51 +0200 Lukas Jelinek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> a few months ago I looked for something like "Linux Kernel API Reference
> Documentation". This search was unsuccessful and somebody recommended me
> to generate this documentation from the kernel headers.
>
> I have used Doxygen for this work. But the headers have needed to be
> preprocessed by 'sed' using some regexp rules (due to various
> incompatible comment formats).
>
> Now I decide to share the result worldwide. The current generated
> "Kernel API Reference" can be found at http://www.kernel-api.org.
> Although it is very buggy this time I think it may be useful for module
> developers.
>
> To allow this work to be better, I suggest to establish some rules for
> writing code comments (especially for function prototypes, data
> structures etc.) and to add the comments to the kernel headers. The
> rules should be chosen carefully to be well accepted by various
> documentation generators (at least by Doxygen).

FYI, there are already some kernel-doc rules in
Documentation/kernel-doc-nano-HOWTO.txt. These rules work with the
doc. generator in the kernel tree (scripts/kernel-doc).
Do you have suggestions for how to make them (the rules) better?
so that the in-tree kernel doc. will improve...

Q2: what do I get when I download one of the tarballs from kernel-api.org?

Q3: Can we see your sed scripts?

Thanks,
---
~Randy