    SubjectRe: [Patch][RFC] Disabling per-tgid stats on task exit in taskstats
    Hi Andrew,

    Two developments on the tgid overhead issue:

    1. The latest results show that overhead is significant
    only when the exit rate exceeds roughly 1000 threads/second.

    2. A new patch that modifies the locking used within taskstats,
    brings down the overhead of the extreme case quite a bit.
    I'll submit the patch along shortly in a separate mail.

    To get back to the effect of exit rate, I modified the fork+exit
    benchmark to vary the rate at which exits happened and
    ran tests on a 4-way 1.4 GHz x86_64 box. The kernel was 2.6.17,
    uses the delay accounting/taskstat patches in 2.6.17-mm1 + the new
    locking patch mentioned in 2. above.

    The results show that differential between tgid on and off
    starts becoming significant once the exit rate crosses roughly 1000
    threads/second. Below that exit rate, the difference is negligible.
    Above it, the difference starts climbing rapidly.

    So I guess the question is whether this rate of exit is representative
    enough of real life to warrant making any more changes to the existing
    patchset, beyond the locking changes in 2. above.

    From my limited experience, I think this is too high an exit rate
    to be worrying about overhead.

    %ovhd of tgid on over off
    (higher is worse)

    Exit User Sys Elapsed
    Rate Time Time Time

    2283 25.76 649.41 -0.14
    1193 -10.53 88.81 -0.12
    963 -11.90 3.28 -0.10
    806 -8.54 -0.84 0.16
    694 -4.41 2.38 0.03

    Exit Rate: units are threads exiting per second.
    Calculated by (#threads_forked+exited)/(elapsed_time)/2
    Since app pretty much does only thread create and exit for 10000
    threads (1000 threads, 10 iterations), this is a good measure
    for exit rate.

    %diff in user, sys, elapsed times calculated using
    (tgid_on - tgid_off)/tgid_off * 100
    where tgid_on/off times are reported by /usr/bin/time as before.

    Each data point for tgid_on and tgid_off was an average
    of 10 runs of the fork+exit benchmark.
    The rate of exits was controlled by delaying the individual
    threads through a usleep before being allowed to exit.

    Machine was 4-way 1.6GHz x86_64 Opteron.

    "exit_recv -w", the user program consuming the stats, was running
    on the side, reading the stats but not writing to a file or
    printing to screen.

      Last update: 2006-06-23 19:17    [W:0.039 / U:31.664 seconds]