SubjectRe: GFS2 and DLM

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 16:54 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 04:54:04PM +0100, Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> > with just calling permission directly... we need to call it mainly because
> > the VFS only does locking within a single node and we recheck the permissions
> > in a few places after we've taken the glocks which provide cluster-wide
> > exclusion.
> ->permission must give correct answers. So I think the answer to your question
> is that you need to do the right thing there and get rid of the additional
> calls.

It does give correct answers. The point is that the answer might change
between ->permission dropping its lock and the actual operation taking
place since there is a time for which the lock is not held where other
nodes might race. To get around this we recheck the permissions in GFS2
to ensure that nothing has changed,