    SubjectRe: [patch 2/3] rtmutex: Propagate priority settings into PI lock chains

    On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Esben Nielsen wrote:

    > > The above means that you cant ever call sched_setscheduler from a
    > > interrupt handler (or softirq). The rt_mutex_adjust_prio_chain since that
    > > grabs wait_lock which is not for interrupt use.
    > Worse in RT context: It makes it unhealthy to call from a RT task as it
    > doesn't have predictable runtime unless you know that the target task is
    > not blocked on a deep locking tree.
    > I know this is very unlikely to happen very often in real life and this
    > thread isn't about preempt-realtime, but I'll say it anyway: Hard realtime

    Esben, you are right. This is not about RT so it does _not_ belong in this
    thread. Please keep the topic in this thread about -mm. We already have
    a RT thread to discuss this in.

    My comments here where about a fact that setscheduler when from interrupt
    context friendly to interrupt context unfriendly and I thought it would
    be good to document that fact. I like Andrews answer better. Document it
    with a BUG_ON(in_interrupt).

    -- Steve

    > is about avoiding surprisingly long execution times - especially those
    > which are extremely unlikely to happen, but nevertheless are possible,
    > because you are not very likely to see those situations in any tests, and
    > therefore you can suddenly miss deadlines in the field without a clue what
    > is happening.

      Last update: 2006-06-23 08:29    [W:0.022 / U:3.300 seconds]