SubjectRe: bitmap loading related reiserfs changes in 2.6.17-mm1 are broken
Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:27:33 -0400
> Nick Orlov <bugfixer@list.ru> wrote:
>
>> subj.
>>
>> I've got a lot of BUG's during the boot and eventually box locked up.
>> SYS-RQ worked. Unfortunately none of these errors did make it to log files,
>> so I cannot provide the backtraces.
>>
>> But reverting last 4 patches of reiserfs-changes series, namely
>>
>> reiserfs-reorganize-bitmap-loading-functions.patch
>> reiserfs-on-demand-bitmap-loading.patch
>> reiserfs-on-demand-bitmap-loading-fix.patch
>> reiserfs-use-generic_file_open-for-open-checks.patch
>>
>> fixed the problem for me.
>>

> Yeah, sorry. I've uploaded the below to the hot-fixes directory - it
> should repair things.
>

> Jeff, given its track record, I have to say that my confidence in this work
> is nanoscopic. Given that, and given the importance of reiserfs and given
> the low rate of reiser3 development and given my ignorance of how reiserfs
> works, I'm inclined to move very slowly on these patches.
>
> It would really help if Chris or one of the namesys developers could take
> the time to review and test these patches closely, please.

Understood. I'm more than a little embarrassed that these keep getting
obvious errors that didn't appear in my own testing. I guess my only
excuse is that these patches consistently get put on the back burner and
get revisited when someone asks me about them. Unfortunately, sometimes
it means I end up finding patches on my development nodes that have been
obsoleted by versions that I've fixed already.

Ugh.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney