    SubjectRe: Why can't I set the priority of softirq-hrt? (Re: 2.6.17-rt1)
    On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 22:16 +0100, Esben Nielsen wrote:
    > > We had this before and it is horrible.
    >
    > "Horrible" in what respect?

    Unbound latencies.

    > > A nice solution would be to enqueue the timer into the task struct of
    > > the thread which is target of the signal, wake that thread in a special
    > > state which only runs the callback and then does the signal delivery.
    >
    > What if the thread is running?

    Well, do it in the return from interrupt path.

    > Hmm, a practical thing to do would be to make a system where you can post
    > jobs in a thread. These jobs can then be done in thread context
    > around schedule or just before the task returns to user-space.

    Thats basically what I said. But you have to take care of asynchronous
    signal delivery. Therefor you need a special state. Also return to
    userspace is not enough. You have to do the check in the return from
    interrupt path, as you might delay async signals otherwise.

    tglx

      Last update: 2006-06-20 22:36    [W:0.032 / U:0.448 seconds]